The National Rail Museum, in Chanakyapuri, New Delhi, displays exhibits on the history of the Indian railways. The museum was inaugurated on February 1, 1977, and spans over 10 acres (40,000 m2). In addition to its vast galleries, the museum also contains simulators for diesel, steam engines, and coaches. Presenting the heritage in a series of 3D photographs.

Location: Chanakyapuri, New Delhi, Delhi 110021
Format: Side-by-Side Cross
How to ViewArticle by StereoEye Japan
Other FormatsPhereo Viewer 

Fowler #1004 built by John Fowler & Co., UK, in 1949 is 0-6-0 diesel loco used for light passenger trains on Gondal State Railway.

Fowler #1004 – This tiny locomotive was imported from John Fowler & Co., Leeds, and was originally used to work light passenger trains on the areas of Gondal and Saurashtra state. Later it was used as a shunting locomotive in Ajmer Workshops of the Western Railway. Diesel traction got off to a very early start in the arid regions of Saurashtra in Gujarat, on account of a perennial water shortage, and the subsequent non-availability of sufficient water supplies for steam locomotives. This diminutive diesel engine was one of the first to run in that area; indeed, one of the first diesels to run on Indian soil. It got retired in 1970.It has a 4 stroke 4 cylinder 150 BHP diesel engine with mechanical transmission. Its maker number was 4200031, Saurashtra Railway No. 203, Western Railway No. 1004. It was imported at the cost of Rs. 5,936/-.

0-6-4, 27.5 ton locomotive (WT-594, 237) used to run on the vast Narrow-gauge (2’6”) network of the erstwhile Gaekwar Baroda State Railway and subsequently on the Western Railway. It was imported from W.G. Bagnall, Stafford, U.K. on 1926 at the cost of Rs. 32,448. It was retired in 1988.

WT-594, 237 – This 0-6-4, 27.5 ton locomotive used to run on the vast Narrow-gauge (2’6”) network of the erstwhile Gaekwar Baroda State Railway and subsequently on the Western Railway. It was imported from W.G. Bagnall, Stafford, U.K. on 1926 at the cost of Rs. 32,448. It was retired in 1988.

Loco CS-775 - manufactured by the W.G. Bagnall Ltd., Castle Engineering Works, Stafford United Kingdom in 1927 and despatched to India. It was an 11.8 ton Narrow-Gauge (2’6”) loco with wheel arrangement 2-4-0. The vital stats of this loco are that it had a maximum speed was 13 mph, coal capacity was 10 CWT and boiler pressure of the engine was 150 psi. The loco was sent to the East Indian Railway and used to run between Shantipur and Nabadwip Ghat in Sealdah Division. The loco retired from service in April 1986.

Loco CS-775 – manufactured by the W.G. Bagnall Ltd., Castle Engineering Works, Stafford United Kingdom in 1927 and despatched to India. It was an 11.8 ton Narrow-Gauge (2’6”) loco with wheel arrangement 2-4-0. The vital stats of this loco are that it had a maximum speed was 13 mph, coal capacity was 10 CWT and boiler pressure of the engine was 150 psi. The loco was sent to the East Indian Railway and used to run between Shantipur and Nabadwip Ghat in Sealdah Division. The loco retired from service in April 1986.

Locomotive E-207 - This 20 ton, 04-2 wheel arrangement locomotive was originally manufactured by M/s Dubs and Company, Glasgow, as a tender locomotive and was introduced by the Rajputana Railway in 1885, after which it was transferred to the Jodhpur Railway. It was later modified by the Jodhpur workshops in 1912 to a saddle tank arrangement with increased height coal bunkers. Initially used for mixed traffic upto 1912, it was later utilized for shunting service till its phasing out in 1952. Equipped with "Stephenson Valve" gear its maker's No. was 1175, later renumbered as ISR-E-107 and finally after 1879, it was changed to E-207.

Locomotive E-207 – This 20 ton, 04-2 wheel arrangement locomotive was originally manufactured by M/s Dubs and Company, Glasgow, as a tender locomotive and was introduced by the Rajputana Railway in 1885, after which it was transferred to the Jodhpur Railway. It was later modified by the Jodhpur workshops in 1912 to a saddle tank arrangement with increased height coal bunkers. Initially used for mixed traffic upto 1912, it was later utilized for shunting service till its phasing out in 1952. Equipped with “Stephenson Valve” gear its maker’s No. was 1175, later renumbered as ISR-E-107 and finally after 1879, it was changed to E-207.

Steam Locomotive F734 - The first locomotive to be completely built in India, this was manufactured in the Ajmer workshop of the Rajputana Malwa Railway (RMR) in 1895. It weighed 38 tons and has an American-style “cowcatcher” in front. Earlier locomotives had been assembled here from spare parts that arrived with imported locomotives, but this was the first to be built from scratch. It has outside connecting and side rods, and was used on Rajputana Malwa, Bombay, Baroda and Central India Railway systems.

Steam Locomotive F734 – The first locomotive to be completely built in India, this was manufactured in the Ajmer workshop of the Rajputana Malwa Railway (RMR) in 1895. It weighed 38 tons and has an American-style “cowcatcher” in front. Earlier locomotives had been assembled here from spare parts that arrived with imported locomotives, but this was the first to be built from scratch. It has outside connecting and side rods, and was used on Rajputana Malwa, Bombay, Baroda and Central India Railway systems.

NWR ST 707 - British Steam Loco Preserved at National Rail Museum . This loco was Assembled at Railway Workshop in Mughalpura ( North Western Railway - British India ) , Currently in Lahore , Pakistan . Built in Year 1904 , Mostly Served as Shunters during that time In NWR of Pakistan Areas.

NWR ST 707 – In 1901-02, the Mughalpura Workshops started assembling engines from the parts supplied from manufacturers of U.K. This engine, which was used for shunting purpose on NWR was one of the first assembled at Mughalpura workshops with component supplied from North British Locomotive Works, Glasgow in 1904. This 55 ton broad-gauge (5’6) locomotive has side tank with 0-6-2 wheel arrangement. Equipped with ‘Stephenson’s’ valve gear, it contained two 17”x24n inside cylinders.

PT-37156 - Built by Robert Stephenson & Co., UK in 1936, it was primarily used for hauling suburban passenger rakes by SIR. SIR # PT-11. Re-numbered later as PT-37156.

PT-37156 – Built by Robert Stephenson & Co., UK in 1936, it was primarily used for hauling suburban passenger rakes by SIR. SIR # PT-11. Re-numbered later as PT-37156.

Mourbhanj Coach - eight wheeler wooden bodie narrow -gauge (2,6 ) coach with steel under frame , plain bearrings and without brakes . This was originally a first cum inter class coach on Mayurbhanj Light Railway and was later converted as first cum third class coach when taken by Bengal Nagpur Railway . It has a seating capacity of 12 in first class and 18 in third class . The entry to the compartments is from both and ofthe coach and fitted with sun shades for passenger comfort . It's maker number was 6-FT.

Mourbhanj Coach – eight wheelers wooden bogie narrow -gauge (2,6 ) coach with steel underframe, plain bearings and without brakes. This was originally a first cum inter class coach on Mayurbhanj Light Railway and was later converted as first cum third class coach when taken by Bengal Nagpur Railway. It has a seating capacity of 12 in first class and 18 in third class. The entry to the compartments is from both and of the coach and fitted with sun shades for passenger comfort. Its maker number was 6-FT.

steam locomotive class HP 31412

Steam Locomotive class HP 31412

Steam Engine P-31652 - This BESA design locomotive was manufactured at Ajmer Workshop (maker number 171 and Indian Railway number P-31652) in the year 1922 for hauling mail and express service on the Rajputana Malwa Railway. Originally provided with 54″ driving wheels, it was modified and provided 57″ wheels by the Ajmer Workshops to adapt it for higher speed passenger traffic. This 38 ton 4-6-0 steam locomotive was equipped with inside plate frame and ‘Walschaerts Valve Gear’. Its manufacturing cost was INR 31,094.

Steam Engine P-31652 – This BESA design locomotive was manufactured at Ajmer Workshop (maker number 171 and Indian Railway number P-31652) in the year 1922 for hauling mail and express service on the Rajputana Malwa Railway. Originally provided with 54″ driving wheels, it was modified and provided 57″ wheels by the Ajmer Workshops to adapt it for higher speed passenger traffic. This 38 ton 4-6-0 steam locomotive was equipped with inside plate frame and ‘Walschaerts Valve Gear’. Its manufacturing cost was INR 31,094.

Fowler #1004 - This tiny locomotive was imported from John Fowler & Co., Leeds, and was originally used to work light passenger trains on the areas of Gondal and Saurashtra state. Later it was used as a shunting locomotive in Ajmer Workshops of the Western Railway. Diesel traction got off to a very early start in the arid regions of Saurashtra in Gujarat, on account of a perennial water shortage, and the subsequent non-availability of sufficient water supplies for steam locomotives. This diminutive diesel engine was one of the first to run in that area; indeed, one of the first diesels to run on Indian soil. It got retired in 1970.It has a 4 stroke 4 cylinder 150 BHP diesel engine with mechanical transmission. Its maker number was 4200031, Saurashtra Railway No. 203, Western Railway No. 1004. It was imported at the cost of Rs. 5,936/-.

Fowler #1004 – This tiny locomotive was imported from John Fowler & Co., Leeds, and was originally used to work light passenger trains on the areas of Gondal and Saurashtra state. Later it was used as a shunting locomotive in Ajmer Workshops of the Western Railway. Diesel traction got off to a very early start in the arid regions of Saurashtra in Gujarat, on account of a perennial water shortage, and the subsequent non-availability of sufficient water supplies for steam locomotives. This diminutive diesel engine was one of the first to run in that area; indeed, one of the first diesels to run on Indian soil. It got retired in 1970.It has a 4 stroke 4 cylinder 150 BHP diesel engine with mechanical transmission. Its maker number was 4200031, Saurashtra Railway No. 203, Western Railway No. 1004. It was imported at the cost of Rs. 5,936/-.

The vice regal dinning car was built by the Ajmer workshops of the BB & CIR (Bombay, Baroda and central India railway in the year 1889. The luxurious special rail carriage was used by the Viceroy of India during his travels around the country. This wooden bodied dinning car was part of a five-car Vice regal train. The car bears a striking white enamel finish.

The vice-regal dinning car – it was built by the Ajmer workshops of the BB & CIR (Bombay, Baroda and central India railway in the year 1889. The luxurious special rail carriage was used by the Viceroy of India during his travels around the country. This wooden bodied dinning car was part of a five-car Vice regal train. The car bears a striking white enamel finish.

M-162 - 1m gauge steam locomotive M2-162, built 1923, inside cylinder type.

M-162 – 1m gauge steam locomotive M2-162, built 1923, inside cylinder type.

F-734 (Rear View) - It has the distincton of being the first locomotive to be built in India. Manufactured in 1895 by the Ajmer Workshop of North Western Railway, it set the ball rolling for future locomotive manufacture in the country. Prior to it, locomotives were assembled at Jamalpur Workshops from spare parts supplied by the original manufacturers. The 38.25 ton 0.6.0 wheel arrangement locomotive is equipped with 'Stephenson valve gear' and inside connecting rods. It was used on the Rajputana Malwa Railway (also known as Rajputana State Railway before 1882). It ran from Delhi to Indore and up to Ahmedabad, and later on B.B. & C.I. Railway for mixed traffic (passenger and goods). Its manufacturing cost was Rs. 15,369/-.

F-734 (Rear View) – It has the distincton of being the first locomotive to be built in India. Manufactured in 1895 by the Ajmer Workshop of North Western Railway, it set the ball rolling for future locomotive manufacture in the country. Prior to it, locomotives were assembled at Jamalpur Workshops from spare parts supplied by the original manufacturers. The 38.25 ton 0.6.0 wheel arrangement locomotive is equipped with ‘Stephenson valve gear’ and inside connecting rods. It was used on the Rajputana Malwa Railway (also known as Rajputana State Railway before 1882). It ran from Delhi to Indore and up to Ahmedabad, and later on B.B. & C.I. Railway for mixed traffic (passenger and goods). Its manufacturing cost was Rs. 15,369/-.

Steam Locomotive class HP 31412

Steam Locomotive class HP 31412

Steam Engine P-31652 – This BESA design locomotive was manufactured at Ajmer Workshop (maker number 171 and Indian Railway number P-31652) in the year 1922 for hauling mail and express service on the Rajputana Malwa Railway. Originally provided with 54″ driving wheels, it was modified and provided 57″ wheels by the Ajmer Workshops to adapt it for higher speed passenger traffic. This 38 ton 4-6-0 steam locomotive was equipped with inside plate frame and ‘Walschaerts Valve Gear’. Its manufacturing cost was INR 31,094.

Steam Engine P-31652 – This BESA design locomotive was manufactured at Ajmer Workshop (maker number 171 and Indian Railway number P-31652) in the year 1922 for hauling mail and express service on the Rajputana Malwa Railway. Originally provided with 54″ driving wheels, it was modified and provided 57″ wheels by the Ajmer Workshops to adapt it for higher speed passenger traffic. This 38 ton 4-6-0 steam locomotive was equipped with inside plate frame and ‘Walschaerts Valve Gear’. Its manufacturing cost was INR 31,094.

Mock-Up of a Railway Station.

Mock-Up of a Railway Station.

Steam Locomotive class HP 31412

Steam Locomotive class HP 31412

B-777 Saddle Tank steam engine (Rear View). This small 16 ton B-class "saddle-tank" steam engine numbered B-777 was built in 1889 by Sharp Stewart & Co. at their Atlas Works in Glasgow, Scotland. B-777 worked regularly for some 61 years and saw service on the Siliguri-Darjeeling Section of the North Frontier Railway.

B-777 Saddle Tank steam engine (Rear View). This small 16 ton B-class “saddle-tank” steam engine numbered B-777 was built in 1889 by Sharp Stewart & Co. at their Atlas Works in Glasgow, Scotland. B-777 worked regularly for some 61 years and saw service on the Siliguri-Darjeeling Section of the North Frontier Railway.

B-777 Saddle Tank steam engine. This small 16 ton B-class "saddle-tank" steam engine numbered B-777 was built in 1889 by Sharp Stewart & Co. at their Atlas Works in Glasgow, Scotland. B-777 worked regularly for some 61 years and saw service on the Siliguri-Darjeeling Section of the North Frontier Railway.

B-777 Saddle Tank steam engine. This small 16 ton B-class “saddle-tank” steam engine numbered B-777 was built in 1889 by Sharp Stewart & Co. at their Atlas Works in Glasgow, Scotland. B-777 worked regularly for some 61 years and saw service on the Siliguri-Darjeeling Section of the North Frontier Railway.